In this article, we will analyze different types of strategies you can implement on you website, how to choose the right one from them, and how to create an SEO strategy for your company.
1. What is an SEO strategy
- When is an SEO strategy necessary?
- What does an SEO strategy give a company?
2. Types of SEO strategies
- Strategy “Fast traffic”
- Strategy “Consolidation of positions”
- Strategy “Leader”
- eCommerce strategy
- Branding strategy
3. How to write an SEO strategy
What is an SEO strategy
SEO is a set of activities aimed at promoting a website in search engines. An SEO strategy is a document in which a company sets out its SEO goals and how to achieve them. Moreover, the goals should be fixed in measurable and achievable indicators.
SEO website strategy helps:
✅ Check the course and do not forget what the company is striving for.
✅ Visually see all the steps that will lead to the goal.
✅ Increase team motivation. Specific indicators make it easy to understand the success or failure of search engine promotion.
✅ Quickly familiarize new employees with the project.
When is an SEO strategy necessary?
- If you work in a highly competitive niche and want to “conquer” the market.
- If your site consists of more than 30 pages, it is easy to miss important nuances for promotion without a strategy.
- If you have a specific SEO goal in mind, the strategy will become a map to that goal.
- If you want to “reach out” to your customers who use Google. After disabling paid advertising, you can get in touch with them only with the help of high-quality search engine optimization of the site.
What does an SEO strategy give a company?
- Reduces the amount of resources and time to achieve SEO goals. You work according to a pre-prepared and tested plan, and do not randomly perform small improvement works.
- It allows you to track the progress of work, record intermediate results and understand in time if something went wrong.
- Most often, in the process of complex SEO, not only the technical side of the site is being finalized, but also the functionality and interface. So these improvements affect the conversion, and more users become buyers.
- A systematic approach to promotion requires constant monitoring of the indicators and the state of the site. This means that an SEO specialist will quickly find problems or indexing errors and fix them if they appear.
Types of SEO Strategies
Strategies are divided into 5 types. The choice of strategy depends on the goals of SEO promotion, the age of the site and its type. We will analyze in which cases to choose one or another strategy.
1. Strategy “Fast traffic”
Goal: Achieve top positions in search results for infrequent and non-competitive search queries in order to get fast traffic and first conversions.
This strategy is based on:
- competitor analysis;
- tracking search queries for which competitors rank poorly;
- preparation of landing pages for low-frequency and non-competitive queries.
The main essence of the strategy is to actively increase the number of landing pages for low-frequency queries. Backlinks are hosted on medium-quality donor sites. The main principle is to quickly get to the first search positions and quickly index the donor site.
After the preparatory work, automate the work with landing pages and the processing of incoming requests. Here speed is more important than quality.
Cons of the strategy:
- ❌ low quality of attracted traffic
- ❌ search results do not always meet the expectations of search users
- ❌ low website conversion
Suitable for: a new business with a young website, entrepreneurs with limited funds.
2. Strategy “Consolidation of positions”
Purpose: Getting targeted traffic and quality leads.
Focus on the development of pages and content, as well as on the quality of texts. With this strategy, the importance of the pages themselves for search queries increases. Spend more time on increasing the conversion of the site. Try to get more reliable backlinks. In this strategy, quality comes first.
Cons of the strategy:
- ❌ it takes a lot of time to improve the site;
- ❌ it takes more time to achieve the goal;
- ❌ work on this strategy will cost more.
Suitable for: small and medium-sized businesses that have been on the market for more than 1 year and are ranked 10-20 in search queries.
3. Strategy “Leader”
Goal: Dominance over rivals and reaching the top 5 position in search queries. Usually niche leaders fight for these places, and a whole team of specialists is involved in the implementation of the strategy.
Instead of working on links, pay attention to the internal optimization of the site. Write high-quality text content: 100% usefulness and competence, and use video, infographics and multimedia to present information. Then the link mass will grow on its own.
Cons of the strategy:
- ❌ the implementation of the strategy will require a significant budget
- ❌ a large team of specialists is needed to work on the project;
- ❌ without a system for analyzing large amounts of data, the strategy will not work
Best for: Niche gurus who want to outrun their closest rivals.
4. eCommerce strategy
Goal: Promotion of products in the top 5 search results placed on the pages, attracting high-quality traffic to the catalog pages, increasing the conversion of targeted actions.
When working, focus on collecting the whole semantic core of search queries and grouping it. The semantic core gives an understanding of which pages to create, which product filters to show for indexing.
Internal linking, for example, through a block with similar products, increases the number of user transitions on the site and speeds up the indexing of other product pages.
The reputation of the site affects promotion in e-com. Work with reviews, ratings and feedback from users not only on your website, but also on third-party sites.
Start building your link mass only after the completion of internal work on the site.
Cons of the strategy:
- ❌ to promote a large site, you need an appropriate budget,
- ❌ working with such a site requires constant optimization and troubleshooting.
Suitable for: large online stores and sites with an endless number of pages and features on them.
5. Branding strategy
Goal: Increase brand awareness and reputation in search browsers.
The strategy will work if you want to drive traffic related to your brand, company, name, services, and products to your website. Focus on working with external sites through articles, reviews, and working through user negatives.
Cons of the strategy:
- ❌ promotion using this strategy indirectly affects sales,
- ❌ You can track changes only by brand queries.
Suitable for: companies with unique services or stores with a huge number of brands.
How to write an SEO strategy
1. Research keywords
The first step is to research your own website and identify the main themes. Topics will depend on the interests of your target audience. To bring people to your site, keep the content quality high. To do this, the keywords and phrases must clearly match the purpose of the user’s search.
Study the site, the interests of the target audience, and collect the semantic core at their intersection.
2. Compare your current SEO performance with your competitors
What are the strengths and weaknesses of your website and your competitors?
Conduct a comparative analysis in 3 steps:
- Conduct a visual assessment of competitors’ sites and compare it with yours. Determine what you can learn from the experience of colleagues in the niche, what elements you are missing and what needs to be improved on the site.
- Analyze websites using services.
These services has its own site evaluation system, shows errors, the number of pages in search engines, Yandex X, Yandex Signs, search engine filters, site security.
They Allow you to analyze the site of competitors by the number of visitors and traffic sources.
Using services like Megaindex, it is convenient to analyze the link masses of your site and competitors’ sites. In addition, the service has a large number of other functions for working with sites: analysis of traffic and its sources, site security and other key data on the site.
3. Enter the received data in the comparative table.
So you can clearly see what are the weak points of your site.
3. Do an SEO audit of your website
Check the technical part of the site and its content. Pay special attention to correct indexing, the presence of optimized metadata, the absence of duplicates, the relevance of information on the pages and the correct operation of all forms and blocks.